On behalf of the GBL Board of Directors we hope your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving! We sincerely hope you and your family had a wonderful day!
We wanted to make you aware that Registration for the 2021 Recreational Season for baseball and softball players will open THIS SATURDAY (11/28). Registration will be open until January 31st! Go to our website at www.gblbaseball.org to sign up.
Please feel free to forward or share this email with family and friends who may be interested in GBL for the 2021 season.
WE OFFER BASEBALL & SOFTBALL! All girls are encouraged to join our League. Our baseball league remains co-ed, but we found most parents would prefer a softball league for their girls.
We have added a Frequently Asked Questions page on our website. Please refer to that if you have any questions not answered here.
1. FEES - Fees are $225 for Coach Pitch and up, $175 for T-Ball, U6 Softball and Jr. Coach Pitch. Non-Germantown residents pay a $25 fee that goes directly to the City of Germantown, not to GBL. THE SIBLING DISCOUNT IS BACK!– Once again this year we are offering a sibling discount! Each player registered after the first will receive a $25 discount per registration.
2. WAIT LIST - We have a limit as to the number of players per team, and we only have so many fields, so we have a limit on the number of roster spots. Most of our divisions had wait lists last year, so we suggest signing up early. The divisions will fill up quickly. We recommend registering your child by December 31st. We can’t emphasize enough your need to sign up early to guarantee your young athlete a spot!
3. LATE FEE (Baseball only) - Way too many people wait until the last minute to register, so if you wait until after January 31st, you will be charged an additional $25 late fee. Also, after this date we cannot guarantee a spot for your child as divisions do fill up every year. There is no late fee for Softball.
4. BASEBALL & SOFTBALL SEASON DATES – Evaluations for Coach Pitch division and above will be held February 6th and 7th, with Feb. 13th/14th being held as makeup dates. T-Ball and Jr. Coach Pitch players do not have evaluations. The Coaches’ meeting will be held Saturday, February 20th, with practices beginning Monday, February 22nd. Our regular season will begin with games on Monday, March 22nd. Our playoffs will begin the week of May 10th, ending the Thursday before Memorial Day. No games will be held the week of Spring Break or Easter weekend. All games and practices are at Cameron Brown, Bob Hailey Park, or Houston Levee softball fields, in Germantown.
5. WEEKLY SCHEDULE - You should expect as many as 3 to 4 events (either a game or practice) a week during the season. You will have games on the weekdays and on Saturdays. It will be very difficult to play another sport during the GBL Season, and we would not recommend it.
6. T-BALL - Our T-Ball division is co-ed for boys and girls ages 4-6 with 6 year old boys having the option to sign up for Jr. Coach Pitch. We encourage girls to sign up for our U6 softball division which offers girls only play and smaller teams. U6 softball is coach pitch. We can always discuss where you think your child fits by contacting [email protected] or [email protected] Once registration closes, all T-Ball players will be consolidated into one division for team assignment. Don't worry, your child will play where you desire, but we do not let children "play up" outside their age group except for exceptional circumstances.
So, in summary:
4YO boys and girls - T-Ball
5YO boys - T-Ball
5YO girls - T-Ball or U6 softball
6YO boys - Jr. Coach Pitch or T-Ball
6YO girls - U6 softball or T-Ball
7. PLAYER REQUESTS - We do not allow requests to be on a certain team at the Coach Pitch level and above, as we cannot honor them with over 900 children signing up. In the past, we have, however, been able to accommodate individual requests for extenuating circumstances. We do not allow entire teams to play together in the interest of league parity and fairness.
8. VOLUNTEERS - GBL depends on hundreds of volunteers, and we have many open positions that need filling:
1. Coaches and Assistant Coaches – We could not have a league without our coaches, and that is always our biggest need. Please, please consider volunteering for a coaching position when you register your child.
2. League Directors and Assistant League Directors
3. Directors on Duty – individuals are assigned specific shifts to be available at our separate fields to ensure smooth operations
4. Field maintenance – the City of Germantown does a great job preparing our fields for play, but there are times were certain work needs to be done that the City is not available to perform.
5. General volunteers – do you want to help, but none of the above positions sound right for you? Just let us know and we’ll find something for you to do.
6. POSITIVE COACHES AND PARENTS ALLIANCE – When you register, you will be asked to agree to our Positive Coaches and Parents Alliance (PCPA) we have instituted this year. In an effort to create the best atmosphere for our young athletes, all parents and coaches will be required to agree to the standards of our PCPA.
As parents and coaches, we have a responsibility to always be mission appropriate and kid centered. GBL strongly supports our Positive Coaching and Parents Alliance (PCPA), an initiative to reinforce our commitment to provide a supportive and enriching experience for ALL kids who participate in baseball and softball in GBL. But it only works with your help!
Please review and share with your family this initiative once you have read and agreed to during the registration process.
Key Baseball and Softball dates for parents:
February 1st - Late registration fee begins for Baseball only
February 6th/7th – Evaluations for Coach Pitch (ages 7 & up) and above
February 13th/14th – Rain date for evaluations, if needed
February 22nd – GBL practices begin
March 22nd – Regular Season games begin
May 21st – Scheduled Last Day of season
On behalf of the GBL Board of Directors we would like to wish all of our GBL Families a very Happy and Safe Thanksgiving Weekend. We are excited about the 2021 season and look forward to your family being a part of GBL in 2021. We fully understand that we are still experiencing a pandemic at this time. We are hoping to have as normal of a season as possible, however all dates are subject to change as we move into the new season and we may have to deal with certain restrictions. In addition, we will not offer refunds following the conclusion of evaluations.